- The Village Chronicles -

In August of 2006, Benjamin Dean Box made the trek up I35 and moved into an unsuspecting Village apartment with Kendal Scott Haug...the city of Dallas will never be the same. All stories recounted here are intended for the purpose of documenting history, are written with journalistic integrity (they are accurate), and may be retold and/or embellished at the reader's wishes.

Transportation: Part 2

Wednesday - (4:45) Wake up, get ready and walk to the Rail station by 5:30. Have to buy a $2.50 ticket with a $20 bill and it’s like I hit the jackpot in Lake Charles when all my change comes out in quarters. Looking around to make sure I don’t get stabbed by the shady characters hanging out/sleeping around there, I collect my change and await the Dart. Take the Dart Rail to Union Station to get on the TRE (Trinity Railway Express) to Fort Worth.

I arrive at the station and hear that I missed the first train by about 5 minutes. I wait 30 minutes for the next one to arrive, take a seat and realize it doesn’t leave for another 30 minutes. While waiting for the train to leave I decided to do some reading. A couple minutes later a homeless man walks in and notices that I am reading a Bible (A NET Bible of course, compliments of Bible.org). He immediately sits next to me and starts telling me about how he is going through some rough times and he needs me to pray for him. I try to talk to him and ask him a few questions about what is going on, but he is very adamant that I say a prayer for him.

After praying for him in front of a small audience, he changes his tone and begins asking for my help. He tells me he wants to get into the shelter, and I tell him that I’d be happy to do what I can to help. He then asks me for $8 to cover the cost to get into the local shelter. I am now in an extremely awkward situation; I was reading the Bible, then prayed for this guy, and there are about 6 people on the bus watching this all go down. I’m thinking he really has got me good, how do I not come across as some punk Christian in this situation without handing over $8? I am not even thinking about how a shelter charging the homeless to get in is sort of an oxymoron, or that he might just go buy some booze, which he reeks of.

So, my first response: “I’m sorry I don’t have any cash,” which was actually true, all I had was change.
Kevin (very large homeless man): “There is an ATM right outside and the train won’t leave for another 20 minutes.”
Me: “I don’t know man, I don’t want to miss the train cause I’m already really late.”
Kevin: “If you’re late, what does it matter? You won’t miss it anyway, I promise.”
Me: “Umm, no man I can’t risk it, I’ve never ridden the train before…”
Kevin: “You never ridden no train man (causing a scene at this point) Come on man aren’t you going to help me. You said you was going to help me.”
Me: “Yeah I’d like to…
Kevin: “You don’t trust me. The train doesn’t leave until 7:05, I know this. I ride it all the time. We have time to go to the ATM.” (standing up and beginning to pull at me)
Me: “Sorry man, I’m not getting off.”
Kevin: “Where you going?
Me: “Fort Worth”
Kevin: “Alright I’ll go out there with you. There is an ATM right where we get off.”
Me: “Oh ok, awesome.”

He continues reminding me every 30 seconds that we still have time to get money while we sit there for another really awkward 20 minutes before the train leaves. Finally we are moving and he is still sitting right next to me, like we’re literally touching legs even though there is a maximum 10 people on the second level of the train. For the first half of the hour long ride he occasionally would ask and make sure that I was still going to help him. All this time I am trying to devise a plan to get out of this situation, which is difficult since I was planning on walking to work from the station; I didn’t exactly have a quick get away.

All of a sudden at about the 47th minute of the trip Kevin falls asleep. This was my chance, so I slowly tried to get up from the window seat and scoot past him without waking him up. Success! I quickly went downstairs to the lower cab, sat in a crowded spot, took off my jacket and beanie, and put on a hat. Somehow he didn’t find me. I don’t know if he ever woke up, but as soon as the train arrived I jumped off and walked briskly toward work until a coworker picked me up, looking behind me occasionally for a mad black man. As I write this today (Friday) I am still looking out for Kevin, especially when I’m hanging out at the train station.

Labels:

posted by benbox @ 7:49 AM,

3 Comments:


im torn. id really like for you to find an easier solution to get to and from work that doesn't take 6+ hours. however, id be lying if i said it wasnt really entertaining to read...

Posted by Blogger Kate | Dec 11, 2006, 8:08:00 AM  

What is it with Ben and homeless guys? They flock to him like wives to Lord Krishna.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous | Dec 11, 2006, 12:04:00 PM  

Box, you are really a punk christian

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous | Dec 19, 2006, 6:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment




The Authors

Kendal Haug

Kendal is a graduate of the University of Texas in Austin and most recently earned his Masters in Biblical Studies from Dallas Theological Seminary. He works for Bible.org and likes to think he knows how to play the guitar. His man-crushes include, but are not limited to: Ryan Adams, Donald Miller, Ray LaMontagne, Neil Young, Vince Young, and of course The Box.

Ben Box

Box, is a recent graduate of Texas A&M University and currently works for Medco Construction building hospitals and being important. Ben loves paying lots of money on broken down Jeeps and has a propensity for getting Kendal into trouble.

About This Blog

This is a multi-author blog devoted to the happenings of two bachelors living it up in Big D. We will record the daily nonsense that occurs when 2 life-long friends live together in the same apartment and have no shame, sense of fashion, or chance of meeting a girl in the next 10 years.

A Word on Comments

Ben and Kendal both highly encourage your comments. They look forward to hearing your thoughts and insights. No matter how harsh the criticism or if you just want to give them a good ole pat on the back and say "Way to Go!" or "Ha! That was a funny story!" or "That Ben sure does crack me up." And if you have a request of something you would like to see Ben and Kendal do or write about, let them know.

Disclaimer

Ben and Kendal are in no way responsible for stories that may worry, upset, or lead their parents to altogether disown them.

Contact Us

Kendal can be reached here
Ben can be reached here

Archives

Previous Posts

Honor Points

On Kendal's Ipod

On Ben's Walkman

Kendal's Reading

Ben's Reading

Links